[AMRadio] State of the Hobby!

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Fri Apr 24 15:03:54 EDT 2009

Some parts really are hard to find. One ie the RF choke that is self
resonant at about 5Mhz. These were commonly used in early MOPA transmitters.

Another thing that is hard to find are some of the IF transformers.

And the selection of Tx tuning capacitors is limited.

I used to like the Millen dials. They are hard to come by with the exception
of the occasional one that shows up on eBay.

Building a solid state RF PA with a medium power level (like 100W) can be
expensive. Transistors don't recover the way tubes do.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Kent (Seattle), Wa,
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"