[AMRadio] State of the Hobby!

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 15:16:46 EDT 2009

I guess I'm young enough (now 45, ham at 13) that I never knew a time
when you could buy RF chokes,  IF transformers, variable caps, Millen
dials, etc in a local parts store.  Most of the towns I lived in
through my younger years did not have an electronic parts store other
than sometimes a Radio Shack.  In those years such parts were shown in
the catalogs of the national parts houses like Newark and Allied and
could be mail-ordered, but that proved to be a pain because so often
they weren't actually in stock.

So from my perspective, I find the internet has improved the parts
outlook greatly.  Between buying junk at hamfests and ordering from
internet sources I can build quite a lot of neat gear.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.