[AMRadio] Base Insulators for 125' tower

Bernie Doran qedconsultants at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 26 22:11:45 EDT 2009

HI Mike: I still stand by my use of Lexan. 120 feet of Rohn weighs less than
400 pounds, down force from guys could add another 250 pounds or so. Lexan
has a compressive strength of over six tons per square inch.   your limit is
not the Lexan, rather what the tower will sit on, IE concrete base or what,
and not sink into the ground. .  If you really want a nice looking
insulator, solvent weld  (use only the solvent for Lexan)  a column four to
five inches tall and machine in a lathe.  nearly any diameter would be ok,
but I would probably go four to six inch dia.  if you think it must pivot
add a small trailer hitch ball and socket.    This is not a BC station
tower. also consider only going 80 feet and either top load or base load.
there is no differance in radiation pattern than a 120 foot tower, only the
Z. most important is the radial system. if your friend is not willing to lay
down at least 60 radials at least 120 feet long, he is already seriously
limiting himself. Use very small copper wire and lay on the surface
stretched tight, it will vanish in the grass.  ebay is a good source of
wire. he will need miles of it. my 80/40 verticles have 9.25 miles of wire
in the radial system.  I use aluminum irrigation pipe, very light and easy
to pull up by hand or with a small machine.    Lexan is very tough stuff, I
would not be surprised if 1/2 inch would stop a .357. one inch would do it
easily.     Bernie W8RPW