[AMRadio] Filament choke

Bernie Doran qedconsultants at embarqmail.com
Wed Apr 29 17:16:30 EDT 2009

consider copper tube with a copper wire down the center, some have used
copper with the varnish used for motor winding etc, I think I would go with
THHN insulation on a 16 gauge wire. Deburr the tube and push the wire
through the center then wind the coil for the necessary inductance, it
becomes the tuned circuit for the filament.   I would use a Q of about 5 -
10, the coil should not be too big, will take a lot of C to resonate.  if
the cathode Z is high, you can tap the coil to match your driver, or wind a
separate winding to link couple in and match. Of course the transformer end
is heavily bypassed to gnd.    Solder tabs on the end of the tube before
running the wire in it!!!  If you really want a choke, I would think  a
choke would not be difficult with that low amperage, just wind a bunch of
turns on a toroid and check the inductance, but you still need a tuned
circuit, that why I suggested the  wire in the copper tube.     Bernie W8RPW