[AMRadio] Filament choke

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 22:45:13 EDT 2009

Tonight I ransacked my parts bins and found a 3/8" dia ferrite rod
about 4 inches long.  I covered it in two layers of quality electrical
tape, and wound a bunch of pairs of turns from two spools of identical
enameled magnet wire about #18 or#20.  Covered about 3 inches with
close turns, with a half inch open on each end.  Secured the wire at
the ends with superglue, then covered it all in a sleeve of heatshrink
tubing.

Each winding measured about 135 uH on my LC meter, with about 0.2 ohms
of DC resistance.  I then put it across the high-Z output of my URM-25
signal generator and tuned the spectrum.  I saw no dips anywhere, and
the coil seemed to load the output down about the same amount as a 2k
resistor.

I also tried putting the coil in series with various resistance values,
and at 1.9 MHz it appeared that the voltage division was even when the
resistance was around 1.5k ohms.  The calculator says that a 135 uH
coil would have a reactance of 1611 ohms, so this data all hangs
together.

I think I've got a bifilar filament choke suitable for my untuned input
160m amp.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/