[AMRadio] Good or bad?

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Thu Apr 30 22:19:11 EDT 2009

I mentored a two couples back in the mid-70s who were wanting their
ham tickets for retirement.  Both couples had purchased sailboats
and planned to spend their retirement sailing from one port to
another.  They explained the main reason for the ticket was for
emergencies and to get weather information.  Then when they didn't
have much to do they would operate as DX stations.

Following the F5 tornado that hit Oklahoma City about 10 years ago,
many of the city personnel and elected officials of the smaller
towns that were affected all got their technician licenses for
emergencies.  This type of thing is very common here and they are
good hams.

Jim/W5JO