[AMRadio] Classic Link Coupled Tuner

Gerald Stockinger cliogunsmith at centurytel.net
Sat Aug 15 10:30:20 EDT 2009

Brian, I believe the problem is your connection. The Capacitor is NOT
connected across the feedline points. It should be connected across the
coil ends OR as much of the coil as is needed to resonate on the band in
use. A high L(inductance and a low C(capacitance) will give a broader
tuning of the coupler. Use the second capacitor in series with the link
as it makes the adjustment simpler. With a SWR bridge in the coax to the
coupler start with the coil taps about 1/3 of the turns out from the
center towards the ends of the coils. Put 20-30 Watts RF into the
coupler and adjust both capacitors for the lowest SWR. Now move both
coil taps out a couple of turns and readjust. If the SWR goes lower than
the first time repeat the coil tap adjustment in the same direction
until you reach 1:1. If the SWR went up  from the first tap setting it
means the taps were moved in the wrong direction. For a parallel tuned
coupler (like your drawing) think of the tuned circuit as an adjustable
impedance transformer (which it is).  At the center of the coil it
starts at 50 ohms. The outer ends of the coil where the capacitor is
connected is very high like 12-15,000 ohms. Between these two points you
can find any value between the two. What you are doing by connecting the
capacitor across the feed points is always having your feedline
connectecd to the highest impedance on the tuned circuit. Now before
anyone jumps all over my explanation of the impedances here I know that
the statement is not absolutely technically correct but about 90% and it
will serve to make the whole thing understandable to someone whom is
just starting out with this type of coupler. This type of coupler is one
of the handiest things around. If you need a coupler to match anything
this is it. Brian once you get the hang of it which will come quickly
you won't even try anything else Good Luck  73

Gerald D. (Jerry) Stockinger

K9GOZ