[AMRadio] Classic Link Coupled Tuner

WA5AM ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 12:22:09 EDT 2009

That's a great story John!!

Yep, for the time being I'm going to leave the tuner well enough alone...
We are building a new house down on my east property smack in the woods.
Once the house is complete and ready to move in, I will begin getting my AM
rigs back up and running.  I've got to move this Gates BC-1T too.  It's
going to be a booger.  it will be the first project after the move to get
going on 75 and 160.  Searcy is very close to us.  Only about 35 minutes
from here.  Next time you are up, come by and see the new shack.

By the way, for all interested, always keep an eye on the lookout for these
large old link coupled coils like the one in my photo.  Also for the large
"slip stator" caps.  You can build a tuner for balanced feedline, 450 ~ 600
ohms, that will far surpass the abuse a modern tuner that uses the toroid
baluns can take.  I went to ladder line 10 years ago and never went back to
coax for any lowband antennas.

73
Brian