[AMRadio] Classic Link Coupled Tuner

JACK C. SHUTT w9gt at verizon.net
Mon Aug 17 13:58:08 EDT 2009

Hey Brian,

I wanted to just chime-in and tell you that I had the same sort of experience with my "big" link coupled tuner.  I have been concerned that the tap points for the open wire line seemed very near the center of the coil and seemed to result in much less L than what I expected would be the proper setting.  It appeared that the amount of coil needed was way too small.  I suppose I should have been satisfied that it provided an apparent good match, but I was still concerned about the values being different that what I expected.  I'm using a large 4" diam. Cu tubing coil and a link wound from the (insulated) center conductor of poly-type RG-8U coax wound around the center turns.  I put a large multi-gang loading type variable cap in series with the link to allow tuning it.  The big tuning cap (250 uF) is across the whole coil which is much more L than even what I need for 160M.   Anyway...can't argue with success....it works!

73,  Jack, W9GT