[AMRadio] Muting the R390 on transmit

Jerry K w5kp at hughes.net
Wed Dec 2 08:33:20 EST 2009

Greetings, John...
I noted you said you didn't have a manual or schematic for this
receiver. Before you do anything else, do yourself a giant favor and go
to these two websites:

R-390A FAQ Page <http://www.r-390a.net/faq-refs.htm>
An exhaustive list of carefully gleaned technical references on this
fine receiver, in downloadable PDF format.

R-390A Y2K Manual (Release 3) <http://www.r-390a.net/Y2K-R3/index.htm>
A complete annotated and updated version of the R-390A Technical Manual.
This manual has been painstakingly compiled, rewritten for clarity and
accuracy, and is kept updated by a large group of experienced techs who
own and have worked on the R-390A for many years. Downloadable (PDF
files) by chapter, or as one massive file.

Just about anything you need to know is available on these two web
pages. I have only rebuilt five of these great receivers over the years,
and I have a complete set of the original military versions of the
R-390A manuals, but like most of us R-390A nuts the "Y2K" manual is my
working bible for this receiver. It is much easier and faster to use
than the original military versions. You will benefit (at no charge, no
less!) from the hundreds of hours invested in updates, corrections, and
clear, easy to follow troubleshooting information contained in the
latest release of the Y2K Manual. These guys have invented the wheel for
you, don't waste time reinventing it. :)

Have fun, Jerry W5KP