[AMRadio] deliberate encroachment

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 20:24:17 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Dave Mayfield W9WRL <wrl at gwltd.com> wrote:
> Because, Some guys are rock bound. It is normal operating procedure that
> AM op's take place at 3880, 3885, 3890. No one buys a rock to operated a
> vintage transmitter at 3887. You can say what you want the bottom line
> is this. the net control for the Military net should have done a better
> job, and no one should start a Q on 3887 the middle of the road. To do
> so is just not understanding what your doing.

Not trying to pick a fight Dave, but I have to agree with Bernie on
this one. Being rockbound is a choice and can be fun, but I'd bet it's
more the exception than the rule. Sometimes the situation dictates
using an odd frequency simply to give another, ongoing QSO enough
space (regardless of mode). Everyone I know who operates with crystal
control also has a VFO option available to use in order to participate
in such conversations. Not only that, I have a lot of odd frequency
crystals in the box here that were ground decades ago.

Applying channelized thinking to today's bands for fone work is just
too limiting. Right up there with restricting yourself to an imaginary
"AM Window" tiny sliver of space. The same rules apply to frequencies
in use regardless of whether they are even, odd, whole, or round. It's
not like the bands are terribly congested these days. Expecting the
vast majority to restrict their spectrum use to suit the possible few
doesn't make sense either, in my opinion. But it is a hobby, and folks
are free to operate what and how they choose, within the rules.

Of course, I also heard Bernie respond with an S9+20 signal to a CQ on
40m a few weeks back 4 kcs away from an ongoing QSO I was in with
several other ops, then complain about the interference we were
causing. Being 40, I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt. (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4