[AMRadio] deliberate encroachment

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 22:10:24 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Brett Gazdzinski
<Brett.Gazdzinski at verizon.net> wrote:
> If AM stations dont stay in the AM window during prime time, then why would
> ssb stations respect the AM window?

First I'd have to ask - what AM Window do you refer to? Where is it
written? More importantly - what respect? As long as I can remember
operating on the 75m frequencies cited as well as those on 40, I've
never seen what I'd consider 'respect' of either area by SSBers. It's
a pipe dream. The No Traffic net on 40 and nightly 'prime time'
jamming on 75 are prime examples. If anything, it's not as bad now as
it was 15 - 20 years ago.

Even before the phone band expansion a few years back, there were
AMers operating down around 3825 and other frequencies outside the
accepted (by AMers) areas regularly. Since the band expansion, many of
us have enjoyed quiet, comfortable operating conditions down in the
80m portion. I enjoyed many an evening chat with Al VE3AJM, Tim VE6PG,
 Donovan VE1BDC, Dave VE1UJ and many others down on 3725. Also the
area around 7150 - 7175 on 40 this past year.

The only argument I ever heard that made some sense was restriction of
license class. But to me, it's more of a reason to upgrade. The
conditions down below are just too nice to miss out on.  I reserve the
right to operate anywhere within the spectrum allowed by my Advanced
Class license, including certain old AM haunts when conditions permit.
But life and radio time are just too short for the nightly pissing
matches that take place on 75.

At the end of the day, the types of SSB folks likely to respect AM
operation are the same ones who will operate respectfully on other
frequencies as well, even throw the switch to AM now and then and give
it a try. Stupid is stupid, regardless of mode, net, or ragchew.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4