[AMRadio] deliberate encroachment

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Dec 5 22:41:19 EST 2009

Once upon a time, nets had priority if they published their frequency
and time of operation.  That is not true anymore.  You don't see net
directories in QST or any other publication.  Not too long ago someone
in the 7290 Traffic Net, which claims to be part of the national traffic
system, complained about W8VYZ being on 7.290.  He might be there an
hour before their time or just as the net control closed the net, Bill
would hit the switch and call CQ.

Someone taped him and the net filed a formal complaint about his type of
operation.  Today if someone is on 7.290 using AM before the net starts
you will hear net control near 7.285 or so calling the net and the AM
station on 7.290.  So the days of net priority are over and Bill
received a letter of exoneration from the FCC.

So if anyone thinks a net has precedence on a frequency they are wrong.
That is an operating habit that has carried over from the days of the
National Traffic System.  And, I imagine, if you claimed operation
because you are crystal controlled, you would be told to get a VFO, they
are plentiful.  Tonight I heard a couple of guys I know well on 3.775
using AM.  I joined them and when they signed a couple of other guys,
one in WY and another in AR joined me.

There is a group of guys who operate on 3.775 every night and, sure
enough, suddenly very strong carriers appeared on frequency nearly zero
beat for long periods of time.  I could hear my friends through the
interference and, when it was my turn, I mentioned the "owners of the
frequency" were present.  They got the message and moved.  I continued
with my contacts for another 30 minutes or so and the frequency remained
clear.  I would have done the same thing no matter what frequency I was
using.

We are allowed to use any frequency our license class permits and I do
that.  I encourage anyone to operate anywhere they choose and if they
are on your favorite frequency, you should politely ask if you can use
it or simply move the the nearest open frequency.  Any good net will
have a secondary frequency should the primary be busy, it is just good
operating practice.

73

Jim/W5JO