[AMRadio] BC-610 Master Oscillator Stability

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Mon Dec 7 12:59:05 EST 2009

Bob,

If I were lucky enough to have a BC-610 and I wanted vfo control with more stability than I could get from the BC-610's own Master Oscillator mode, I would certainly try driving it in the Crystal Oscillator mode with an external vfo.  I've had very good results driving other rigs such as my Globe King 275 and Collins 32RA with a Hallicrafters HT-18.  I also use several Knight vfos with such rigs as a Globe Scout and a DX-20.  If you have a concern about the BC-610 oscillator stage taking off in a TGTP self-oscillation mode when driven by something like the Knight vfo or a Heathkit VF-1 which hve a parallel resonant circuit in their outputs, just operate the vfo on one half of the desired frequency, on 160 meters when you are operating the 610 on 75 for example, and turn the BC-610 oscillator into a doubler.  You can get 160 meter output from a Knight vfo or from an AT-1.

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI