[AMRadio] Paint question

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 08:02:16 EST 2009

A friend of mine sent me a nice Harvey Wells Bandmaster transmitter. He repainted the cabinet a glossy black. It looks GREAT, but is not the original wrinkled or gritty looking finish. It is perfectly smooth with no dents or scratches. He is a great painter.

My question is: Is there a wrinkled or rough finish paint that can be applied DIRECTLY over this glossy black paint? Does anyone know the correct color for the Harvey Wells Bandmaster cabinet? I am not sure if St. James Gray such as the 75A Collins line would be the correct color or not. I seem to remember the color being a very dark gray , but not quite black I don't want the wrinkled (as in SX 28A face plate) color, but more like the finish of the cabinet on the SX 28A or the finish on the 75A line of Collins gear IF THAT IS VERY CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL COLOR OF THE HARVEY WELLS BANDMASTER.

Your input will be appreciated. 73, John, K5PGW