[AMRadio] HRO question for the day

Bernie Doran qedconsultants at embarqmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:08:52 EST 2009

National decided in the HRO50 design to use a 4.3 Ohm resister in series
with the fil of both 6H6  dual diodes, ( noise blanker and detector)
dropping the fil to about 5 v.   In the Hro 50-1 the noise blanker 6h6
operates at normal Volts and the detector still at reduced voltage. I see no
reason for this and the tube data sheets do not address lower volt
operation. only effect I notice is that it takes several minutes for the
detector to warm up and produce audio. It can not be for life as when this
was designed and built 6h6s were cheap, still are.  certainly not to save
energy or battery operation.  perhaps it fools the detector into something
other that a square law detector due to low emission.  tube life would be
extended, but so what, this is not a transmitting valve and the only one I
have seen where reduced voltage is recommended for standby is the 813, data
recommends 8 volt when on standby and I have never done that or seen one
used that way.  So does anyone KNOW why national did this?    I have never
seen this in Collins so it must be wrong!!!! HI   Bernie W8RPW