[AMRadio] Threads that go on and on

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 13:27:25 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM,  <sbjohnston at aol.com> wrote:

> But I would caution against too much criticism of mailing list
> participants - it will tend to stifle participation as people become
> afraid of breaking the rules or getting jumped on by others.  There is
> a happy medium between the two extremes.

Good point, Steve. As Jim pointed out yesterday, so long as it doesn't
violate the rules of the reflector, it's not an issue. The free-flow
discussion format here has certainly resulted in countless pieces of
excellent info being passed to others. It's up to us to decide whether
or not the posting is of interest to us, nothing more. Being a member
of this list for over a decade, it is clearly the best one for overall
conduct and useful information of any others I'm subscribed to.

A similar discussion took place recently on another list where the
list owner observed a more irritable tone in recent months. One poster
astutely pointed out that folks sometimes say or do things online that
they'd not likely consider in person, simply because of the ease
involved. For example, if you were at a radio club dinner with your
friends and a group of them were discussing something like solid state
radios of no interest to you, it's not likely that you'd tell them to
shut up or change the subject. Instead you'd either listen in
respectfully or move on to strike up a conversation elsewhere. Perhaps
a lot of the silly arguments and issues that arise are related to
folks spending too much time online and less time with other people,
face to face or on the air.

Personally I'm a mere newb compared to John's 52 years as a ham,
having only been licensed for about 27. My radio and electronics
interest and career only spans about 34 years. So any opportunity I
get to pick up something from the true masters is well worth the time
involved. The older I become and the more I learn, the fewer posts are
relevant. But 'the rest' goes with the territory and is part of the
limitations experienced with any tool. The internet is a great tool,
used properly. But it's not the answer to everything and it's no
substitute for real life experiences. Like anything else, it's only as
good as you make it.

I hope everyone enjoys some good family and radio time through the
remainder of the holiday season, and a prosperous new year.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4