[AMRadio] transformer rattle - kill or cure?

Stevan A. White w5saw at pathwayz.com
Wed Dec 23 12:06:19 EST 2009

As a broadcast engineer I have seen (or heard) transformers rattle as
you've described.  My suggestion would be to let it be, especially if it
stops after a while.  It sounds to me like it rattles when it's cold and
stops after it warms up.  Does the noise gradually subside or just quit
abruptly?  It is annoying to listen to the laminations rattle but it
would be even more annoying to try to "fix" one problem and create
another.  Some transformer windings are spaced apart and spacers may
loosen some when they're cool and "tighten up" after they warm up.  I
used to have one that did that and it really bothered me until I talked
to the factory guy and he explained what was happening.  Even worse than
transformer laminations rattling is hearing a bank of SCRs grunting and
groaning.  (I'll bet some on this list even know which line of
transmitters I'm talking about.)  Happy Holidays to all!

Steve White, W5SAW