[AMRadio] transformer rattle - kill or cure?

Mel Farrer farrerfolks at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 12:51:48 EST 2009

Hi, I used to rebuild motors and transformers and the older ones never seemed to keep the laminations tight or bonded.  We used to take older ones and put them in an oven for a couple of hours at 150 or so degrees.  Then put them submerged in a tank of thinned varnish for about 10 minutes.  Pull them out and wipe off the excess varnish and cool overnight.  Heating the core seems to invite the thinned varnish to penetrate deeper into the laminations.  This always kept the cores quiet.  Its a little messy, but works.  Good Luck.

Mel,