[AMRadio] Reusing old UTC mod transformers

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Thu Feb 12 20:40:37 EST 2009

I'm glad you said this (about the VM5) as I have a faulty VM4 that I bought from Ed Grothus' Black Hole junkyard in Los Alamos, it has sat out in the weather for years. Its the old style, not the CVM style in a can. (I have one of those too)
When I tried to fire up this old VM4 to play with on a DX100, i smelled ozone and think it was sparking inside from the HV. So I won't salvage the thing, will save it for the day that someone wants one to rewind....
Ed Grothus (look him up on the web, or the Black Hole) passed away today. His salvage yard is amazing, I went there yesterday and the old tube Tek scopes (5xx series) were stacked like firewood in one aisle. Unfortunately nothing is inventoried
and it is impossible to find anything due to piles on top of piles. I am afraid that it may all get bulldozed - lthough his family may try to sell off all they can now.

Don, I almost looked you up Sunday as i drove past Nashville. But I kept driving, had 2200 new miles on the car when I got back to NM Monday afternoon.

73
John
K5PRO