[AMRadio] Good Receivers for AM

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 19:52:42 EST 2009

In 1981, I traded a piece of equipment to a friend for a Radio Shack
Realistic DX160.

It was your basic slide rule dile general coverage receiver that reminded me
of the old S120 that I began listening with in the mid 60s.

I got it primarily as a DX receiver for the AM broadcast band, but it soon
found the 1885 and 1985 gatherings on 160, along with W5PYT, K5SWK, K4KYV,
et al on 75 meters.

That receiver stayed with me for several years until someone made me an
offer I couldn't refuse at the time.

They aren't fancy, and they don't have selectivity enhancements, but they do
okay for a single conversion unit.

Mike Duke, K5XU