[AMRadio] Getting started

Nick England nick at 3rdtech.com
Mon Feb 23 19:55:25 EST 2009

How about a National NC-300 or 303? - great vintage looks, excellent tuning
feel, very good performance on AM, CW, and SSB.
Or a Hallicrafters SX-101? also very handsome and a good performer
Or if you want something that isn't 19" wide and 75 lbs, but is about the
same width as the Ranger, a Drake 2B.

OK, that didn't make your choices easier, did it? But I think these three
are much better rcvrs than your list below. I like the HQ-170 for SSB but
never enjoyed it for AM.

I couldn't make up my mind either - here's what I ended up with for my main
vintage operating position -
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/photos/shack3.jpg

cheers,
Nick K4NYW