[AMRadio] Getting started

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:00:51 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:01 PM,  <kc0hfl at cox.net> wrote:

>  Okay maybe I should have been a little more specific up to 300/350 dollars for a receiver that would be my range I guess. I have looked at a few Hammurlunds and Hallicrafters that look interesting like the HQ 110,150,170 and I bought a SX-99 real cheap from a local Ham I hope to check it out soon.

It really depends what you want out of it for performance. Nice audio,
excellent selectivity, bullet-proof front end? Probably the best
overall radio would be the R-390A which can be had for the top end of
your price range if you shop outside ebay and don't mind doing some
work to bring it up to spec. Some of the earlier Hallicrafters rigs
offer nice push-pull audio output if you're seeking nice, full audio.
Early Hammarlund Super Pros and some Nationals fall into the category
too and can be found in the $200-$300 range. And as Ed said, the Drake
gear is still some of the best gear value for performance out there.

But really, pretty much any receiver with AM will work since the
signal tends to be broad enough that drift isn't a big issue. It
depends more on what you want for features and performance, size,
weight, etc. The cheaper/low end sets just tend to be a bit
more....challenging (annoying?) to use.

~ Todd, KA1KAQ/4