[AMRadio] Heath Apache symptoms

BILL GUYGER bguyger at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 22:40:19 EST 2009

I can say Amen to this. One of the biggest failure modes for Heath kits is loose hardware. I've heard this many times on the Heathkit reflector.

I bought an Apache for parts to fix one I had bought earlier and did not find ONE screw that was beyond finger tight. Whoever had this unit attempted to fix DC, RF and or audio problems by running a bare 18 ga. copper wire ground buss through the entire transmitter even in the VFO box.

If at first you don't succeed, try really goofing it up!

It all worked out well for me, the first Apachie was immaculent inside (someone had hacked a big hole in the cabinet for what was probably a muffin fan or some such. and most of the original knobs were gone) and the second was immaculent outside, so between them both you see I licked the platter clean..I mean have a complete transmitter.

73's de
Bill AD5OL