[AMRadio] [CW] Fw: 3600-3700 frequencies

Thomas F. Giella KN4LF kn4lf at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 9 11:34:28 EST 2009

Returning 3600-3700 kc to CW mode only operation is a solution looking for a
problem, as CW mode operation is already allowed there. I do operate CW
between 3600-3700 kc but there is little in the way of activity there. Even
3500-3525 kc has little activity also compared to 5-10 years ago.

I also operate AM regularly on 3675 kc and SSB on 3690 kc From hear in
Florida I see more SSB activity between 3600-3700 kc than I do CW between
3500-3525 kc.

I became an Advanced class ham in 1990 with the callsign KN4LF. I passed the
13 wpm for my General also in 1990.

I was against dropping the 20 wpm code test for Extra and out of protest did
not get my Extra for the next 7-8 years. I did recently pass the Extra exam
and am awaiting my new 2 x 1 call of WU5D. I finally upgraded to get at all
of the DX between 7000-7025 kc and 14000-14025 kc. I have confirmed 8 new
countries on 40 meters since upgrading bringing my DXCC total to 200.

I did find the Extra class exam easy. Not because I memorized the answers
but because I already new the material from being a ham for 20 years. I
certainly could not memorize the answers to the math related questions so
spent a month learning how to figure it all out. Memorizing almost 800
questions and passing the Extra class exam without understanding the
material is beyond my capability and I'm no dummy.

BTW the AM group that operates on 3675 kc that I check into used to operate
on 3880 kc but moved down when 3600-3700 kc opened up for phone operation.
Instead of whining about being left out of the group as an Advanced class
ham I passed my Extra.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA