[AMRadio] Effort afoot to "reclaim" 3600-3700 CW subband

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:04:35 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Bob Carpenter
<bcarpenter_tpc at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Every body that wants to run A.M. go ahead and move down to the extra band,
> then don't ask why A.M. is a dying mode !! A lot of "working stiff" still
> have to work 40 to 60 hrs a week, and for what ever reason don't have our
> "extra" but I really love A.M.

AM isn't a dying mode from where I sit, it's one of the few modes that
seems to be gaining in activity through new interest. Many of us who
have worked down in th 80m portion of the expanded phone band have
worked many newcomers trying out their Yaecomwood radios on AM for the
first time. In fact, a couple days back I heard a 4 Lander using SSB
break into a group on 3733 who then helped him make the switch to AM
mode. He was trying out an Icom 781 and IIRC, it was his first AM
contact ever. He hung in there for quite a while and did say he'd be
back for more.

> Got to say, I'm beginning to feel like it's a one way relationship , you
> see. I'm not retired yet, and no I don't have a room full of old tube
> xmitters (but would love to have )Do have a old DX 40 that I'm close to
> getting on the air, and a three tube 811 amp, that may allow me to get into
> a short QSO with some of you. It's really sad that in order to be "in the
> group" you've got to run a tube xmitter and a amp, at 300 to 800 watts,
> other wise, your just noise, and something to be tolerated with a short
> reply, and then move on to another "big rig" sounding station.

Bob, where are you getting your info? Are you on the air at all? If
so, you must realize that some of the strongest, best sounding signals
out there are guys running Class E solid state rigs, or Flex radios as
Pete mentions. There is no doubt that if you're going to hang around
up in the AM ghetto area at night, you're going to need to run some
decent power and have a decent signal to be heard. But that's been the
case as long as I can remember, it's nothing new. The 'new' thing is
that we now have additional spectrum to stretch out and enjoy instead
of trying to all squeeze into a few "popular" frequencies. You should
be embracing this, not complaining about it.

I've been a 'working stiff' too, through most of my amateur career and
through all my upgrades. There was never time to practice the code or
study for me either, unless *I* made the time. Once it became a
priority for me and not just a passing interest, there was plenty of
time. Funny how that works.

> A.M.,,,,,,,the EXTRA mode

Huh. I'm only an Advanced. Maybe I should feel bad for myself too?
Nah, the energy could be better spent working on upgrading. Too many
folks seem to want the luxury of amateur radio being on their terms,
whenever they happen to turn on the radio it should just be happening
in a place where they can enjoy it. Hopefully more are realizing that
*they* are amateur radio, in this case the AMers who will make a
difference if they're on the air instead of online. Other than some
weekly AM net and the rare QSO, I'm amazed at how little local AM
activity I hear since moving to 4 Land. Plenty of 1,2, and 3 Landers,
with 8s and 5s in there too. It's almost like that Verizon dead zone
commercial.

Let's do something positive about it, Bob. I'll make you a deal: you
upgrade (much easier these days) and I'll get some wires back up in
the air, then we can both be part of the solution. I do need to
reorganize my priorities from all that moving/domestic stuff back to
radio and fun activities.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4