[AMRadio] Transatlantic AM (was 3600-3700)

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Jan 9 19:15:15 EST 2009

> Dont forget to give us Brits and Europeans a shout around 04.00+ GMT on
> 3705, during the weekends and sometimes during the week.
> 73 Max M0GHQ

I hear you blokes on the band from time to time, but signals usually are
right at the noise level, just a bit too weak for me, 1200 miles into the
hinterlands where that extra hop over land attenuates signals into the noise
floor.  The east coast AM'ers have a much better pipeline into Europe.  I
did have a nice QSO with Jean from France a couple of weeks ago.  Henke
called in, but his signal was unreadable in the noise.

I regularly hear British and European slopbuckets in the so-called DX window
at 3780-3900, and many of their signals are comparable to those of N.
American stations if not stronger, kicking the S-meter above S-9,  but the
European stations I hear in QSO on 3600-3700 are usually very weak.  I don't
know what kind of power and antennas the DX'ers use to put such strapping
signals this way, but if a few AM'ers across the pond could generate
comparable signals, transatlantic AM QSO's would be routine.

For years I have attempted to monitor the French-speaking AM group on 3550,
but they are usually just barely too weak to catch the callsigns, even
though some of the conversations are comprehensible at times.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/