[AMRadio] WABOOF - Good News on HAM RADIO

Brett Gazdzinski Brett.Gazdzinski at verizon.net
Fri Jan 9 22:06:53 EST 2009

I remember what sparked my interest, an old radio shack dx100 I think it
was, a little, crappy receiver that LOOKED nice, it was really a transistor
radio with some short wave bands and a BFO.
But I heard some interesting AM qso's on it, got my general so I could join
in.
Way back, CB was nice, no foul mouth or CB lingo, just people talking, and I
was into that before the ham stuff.
I would not bother with CB these days.

Realistically, I don't think ham radio has much future, not when you can
call someone on a cell phone, text them, surf the web, do VoIP, etc, its
kind of silly to have a basement full of equipment so you can talk with the
other 20 old guys about their basement full of equipment. I don't see much
to attract young people to the hobby.
Most hams would not think of building any radio stuff as far as I can tell.
Kids might be interested in the flex radio stuff, with its computers and
displays and so on....

Brett
N2DTS