[AMRadio] WABOOF - Good News on HAM RADIO

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Jan 9 22:22:15 EST 2009

Funny today I received a message from a friend that listed 24 thing
about to become extinct in America.  I don't know who published the
list but it wasn't anyone involved in ham radio.  Ham Radio was
about # 16 on the list.  It was there along with Yellow Pages, film
cameras, classified ads, movie rental places and the #1 selection
was family farms.

16. Ham Radio
Amateur radio operators enjoy personal (and often worldwide)
wireless communications with each other and are able to support
their communities with emergency and disaster communications if
necessary, while increasing their personal knowledge of
electronics and radio theory. However, proliferation of the
Internet and its popularity among youth has caused the decline of
amateur radio. In the past five years alone, the number of people
holding active ham radio licenses has dropped by 50,000, even
though Morse Code is no longer a requirement.

Jim/W5JO