[AMRadio] WABOOF - Good News on HAM RADIO

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Jan 10 04:09:40 EST 2009

> Amateur radio operators enjoy personal (and often worldwide)
> wireless communications with each other and are able to support
> their communities with emergency and disaster communications if
> necessary, while increasing their personal knowledge of
> electronics and radio theory. However, proliferation of the
> Internet and its popularity among youth has caused the decline of
> amateur radio. In the past five years alone, the number of people
> holding active ham radio licenses has dropped by 50,000, even
> though Morse Code is no longer a requirement.
>

> Jim/W5JO

But one thing amateur radio has that the internet doesn't have is
independence from the infrastructure.  If we can find the electricity to
power the rig, we can string up a wire and communicate worldwide even if
every  internet server and every telephone in the country is out of
commission.  A generator and some fuel is all it takes to keep us in
business if every utility service is down.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/