[AMRadio] Effort afoot to "reclaim" 3600-3700 CW subband

QED Consultants qed at hughes.net
Sat Jan 10 08:53:36 EST 2009

The people on the low end of 80 are just like 40 meters, I routinely have 45
min or longer QSOs with very interesting people, many running low power ( 25
watts)  to a rice box after they called on SSB. for many it was their first
AM QSO.  Many get interested in operating AM. I always tell them about the
interesting  equipment in use by others I have worked.  There is so much
more diversity among the AM operators that it just does not compare to many
on SSB.  I do agree that the so-called AM window is difficult at best, plus
I do not really care to be in a six party roundtable.    I have had some
great contacts on SSB, but there just seems to be something about that mode
or the operators that tend to leave the contacts in almost a contest mode.
It is not difficult to get people to start to talk, just encorage them with
a few questions if they seem a little timid.  you will be rewarded with a
new friend.     I have hear comments about the difficulty of the extra class
test. I did not find it as difficult as the general I took in 1954.  I
believe it was Henry Ford that said " if you think you can not do it, you
are probably right"   Bernie W8RPW