[AMRadio] WABOOF - Good News on HAM RADIO

AAR7IR AAR7IR at Hotmail.Com
Sat Jan 10 15:16:29 EST 2009

I've been debating posting on this, but I must concur with Bret.

I know I have not been the mentor nor ambassador to amateur radio many of
my Elmer's were.   I intend to improve on this in the coming New Year.

I would like to add that I believe we are heavily discounting the damage a
lot
of the inappropriate behavior on the bands is causing.

 Just a few years ago two of the younger engineers on my team (I was at
Northrop at the time) asked for a demonstration and I had them over to
my shack.   As I tuned down to about 3.715 we could hear some jack
@ss (with a LOUD signal) burping and making other sounds (use your
imagination).  Try to convince someone reasonably intelligent that this is a
great hobby after a performance like that.  The fact is, they could listen
that by spending about 100$ for a 27mhz rig.

These potential hams were guys who were trained as EEs and wanted to
build and  experiment again because much of their jobs had morphed
into software and project management.  Just the sort of people we'd like
to have join our ranks.

Perhaps this chaos as well as covenants have taken their toll.  Some
CW has actually gone to the Internet.    A ham in the Northwest wrote
a utility called MorseKOB that does an excellent job of American Morse.
I must confess, I go there for good rag chews and because many of the
old gentlemen I QSO'd on 40 have passed away.    Additionally, they are
experimenting with RTTY.  I might add that to date I have yet
to hear anyone pass gas or speak of "p*ss weak" signals on these ports.

I would much prefer that this CW and Rtty return to the amateur bands
where it rightfully belongs.

The really good news is, since nothing sounds as good as an AM signal
through a hollow state receiver, AM is in no danger of ending up on the
Net  like some of our CW and Rtty have!

--... ...-- and a very Happy New Year
John, WAØSTX/4