[AMRadio] More positive on the "Good News"

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 16:03:29 EST 2009

Guess I was a little too sarcastic when I threw one of my comments in earlier. So, when the another fellow commented on the infrastructure of the internet, phone system etc., it really struck a cord.  Even the trunking radios are now interconnected with the internet, so in time of crisis, when the net is loaded down or inop, much of the trunked network will quit too. I saw a demonstration of a local companies trunking controller where the tech could look at any of his systems worldwide, and monitor radio traffic.  Much of the FAA's tie in to remote radio equipment is via T1 lines, with no real redundancy.  Woe to the air traveler when that system locks up nationwide.

Amateur radio will survive, just because of what the other fellow said, "put up a wire, hook up the radio".  Notice the movie 'Live Free, or Die Hard'?  The main computer geek had a rig tuned to 66.6Mhz and referred to it as his Armageddon radio.  I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a network of computer geeks worldwide, on a band of freqs somewhere like the freebanders, standing by right now.

This last Christmas, I talked with my neighbors who own a hobby shop.  They also do internet sales along with their storefront.  The were exhausted after this Christmas season, never saw sales like that before.  The consensus is that people are returning to the more tradition hobbies, and I think, with the bulk of the baby boomers on the verge of retirement years, that long lost ham radio bug may start to itch.

Now if the economy will stabilize enough for all those who look forward to retirement years and hobby pursuits, can retire to enjoy it.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC