[AMRadio] 160 meter antenna

Eddy Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Mon Jan 12 07:14:39 EST 2009

Hi Jim,

When it comes to 160-meters, you must first assess just what, exactly, you want to accomplish on the band...

Do you want to work just your Stateside buddies...? If so, a half-wave dipole / inverted "V" at 80' will be MORE than up to the task. Feed it with open wire line, coax, whatever...

Do you just wanna work DX on the band...? Then delve into the various antenna handbooks to learn how to shunt feed that tower as a vertical. Eighty feet of "physical tower height" translates to some 120' of "electrical tower height" when fed the proper way (remember to add lotsa ground radials).

Do you wanna work both domestic AND DX stations, both, on Topband...? Then string up an inverted "L" alongside your tower. The "mix" of both horizontal and vertical wire will be a good compromise in the matter of working both near-in, and far-away, stations...but again, be prepared to lay down some radial wires for it to work effectively.

Radial wires are a whole 'nother topic, for sure...

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth...and I've been on the band, off & on, almost from the time I first got licensed some 38 years ago.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ