[AMRadio] 160 meter antenna

Bill Fizette w2dgb at ptd.net
Mon Jan 12 16:47:40 EST 2009

Jim,

Have been reading the mail with much interest on your 160 M antenna question, and there are a lot of very good answers.  For what it is worth, and just for information, I will pass on my experience with the 160M antenna here.

I had the same problem of space, as well as inability to install a suitable ground system for a vertical, and was advised to put up a 200 ft dipole, fed with open wire and tuned with one of the widely available transmatches.  Works out to a 3/8 WL on 160.  I found, using an MFJ high-pass T-match, that it tuned up just fine, and I have no problem with making area contacts.  The antenna tunes the other bands as well, BTW, and I use it on 80 and 40 also.  I used an MFJ antenna analyzer to run through the bands and get the settings.

Mine is up about 35-40 ft. The ground slopes, and the thing goes up and down with ice loading and wind in the trees, and I'm not sure how high it is on a given day...but it works.

Good luck, and tell us what you did and how it works out.

73,  Bill  w2dgb