[AMRadio] 160 meter antenna

Brett Gazdzinski Brett.Gazdzinski at verizon.net
Mon Jan 12 20:31:06 EST 2009

I have heard ferrite type stuff can cause nasty problems at high power.

Since I run tube rigs, I think I will just cut a dipole for the center of 80 meters, and ditch the tuner, which gets quite warm on the G5RV.

If I am going to heat something up, it might be better that its not in a shielded metal box.

While a balanced setup is best, I don't want to have to tune the antenna every time I change frequencies, as I like to hop around between bands and the phone and CW parts of the bands..
Without a tuner, you can use the antenna's on receive, even on other bands, while with a tuner, if you get far from where you are tuned from, you get a lot of loss...

Brett