[AMRadio] "Hot" Broadcast Towers

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 21:55:50 EST 2009

>Well Mike, OSHA says it's against the rules to climb a hot tower these
days.

Can you provide any further info on OSHA's trouble with it?  The EPA
and FCC certainly have no problem with hot climbing at appropriately
reduced power levels.  Have a look at the information on the FCC
website at

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet65/oet65a.pdf

OET65 and its Supplement A show that climbing a hot tower is allowed at
reduced power levels.
Figure 5 sums it all up.

For example, a station at 1000 kHz with a quarter-wave tower could
reduce power to about 300 watts and be in compliance for a climber
directly on the tower.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/