[AMRadio] Those Jolts that Get your Attention

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 21:26:18 EST 2009

Here are the two electrical shocks that I will remember forever.

The first came from an "All American 5 tube" design BC radio when I was
about 10 years old. I had gotten inside it, connected a pig tail to one end
of the ferrite antenna, and stuck it through one of the vent slots in the
back of the case. The intent was to connect it to a bunch of wire outside,
which I did. But, I didn't know about insulators, grounds, etc. Ouch! Soon
after that, I learned how to accomplish this with an inductor held against
the back of the radio.

The second came from a Viking Ranger not long after I connected an audible
tuning indicator across the meter. This was the original Ranger, so most of
you know where the meter appears electrically in the plate circuit. I have
known that fact very well too since my right hand encountered just enough
bare wire to complete a circuit across the pins of the connector I had used.

Sometimes, seeing with your hands is tough!

Fortunately, in both of these cases, I was only using one hand, was wearing
good shoes, and was not on concrete.

Mike Duke, K5XU