|[AMRadio] Amazed any young ham made it to adulthood|
bguyger at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 19 23:20:35 EST 2009
I too learned all about AC/DC 5 tube superhets the hard way, and thanks to a Dynaco power amp that had been sitting unpowered for several days, about the lightning that lurketh in non bleeder resistor equiped filter caps.
But the most embarrasing shock I ever got was when I was in college and working in the Learning Center tape room. I reached into the back of a rack of 1" VTR's got hold of exposed 120V. somehow and it went to ground through my nose which was up against the rack side panel. Talk about opening your sinuses!
----- Original Message ----
From: CL in NC <mjcal77 at yahoo.com>
To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 8:00:33 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] Amazed any young ham made it to adulthood
I thought electric shock was a right a passage. I tried to build a Jacobs ladder as a kid of about 10, using brazing rods, a Ford ignition coil, and a Lionel train transformer. Yes, I knocked the stuffing out of myself, but I learned something in the process. I had a real Gilbert Erector set too, with all kinds of sharp metal items, a real 110VAC
More information about the AMRadio mailing list
This page last updated 21 Oct 2017.