[AMRadio] A special day today

Clarke, Tom AIR4.0P NATOPS frederic.clarke at navy.mil
Tue Jan 20 17:36:59 EST 2009

My big shocker was in a lab doing some troubleshooting on a transmitter.
I had been making some voltage measurements and the negative lead to the
meter popped off the chassis, unnoticed, and fell to the floor.  Since I
was following the "one hand in pocket" rule, everything seemed cool.
Well, it was ok until I touched the chassis...WHAM! 450 volts thru the
meter down the negative lead onto the metal chair leg, thence up my arm.
Fortunately, the Tripplet sacrificed itself on my behalf!

I guess that was too hazardous, so I went into military test flying!
One day I was in the hangar giving some traiing to a new pilot, when we
heard a ZAP-Buzz-Bang and some shouting.  It seems that someone was
trying to pry a 440 volt, 3 Phase power plug out of the wall outlet
using a 12 inch screwdriver.  Big mistake!  It slipped and shorted the
prongs of the plug and the screwdriver vaporized!  Since the lights went
out in the hangar, I ran over and pumped a 150 lb fire extinguisher into
the now smoldering receptacle.  The smell and black mark on the wall
lasted for days!  That poor mech is probably still shaking!

73 de Tom/W4OKW