[AMRadio] A special day today

Thomas Adams quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 20 07:56:57 EST 2009

At 03:20 PM 1/19/2009, David Knepper wrote:
>What I still wonder even today is how WRL/Leo Meyerson could make such death
>traps and get away with it.

It's my understanding that Leo's designs, tho a bit eclectic, started
out OK. It was his Bean Counters that
messed 'em up.

>I still have a Galaxy V that when you life up the lid, there is the PA cage
>fully exposed.

I had a Galaxy V Mk. 2 for a couple of years. Not a bad rig, really...

>What was he thinking?  Could it have been $$$$$ by shaving costs.  No
>interlocks on the "big boy: - the Globe King 500.

TELL me about it!!!   The cost cutting done on that rig is a crying
shame...  it could have been one of the
GREAT ones. The most grievous cost cutting measure was in the PA and
modulator plate supplies, IMHO.
They seem to e to be just barely adequate, with PA plate voltage too
low; with another 300 - 500 VDC there
the PA plate efficiency would be a whole lot better.

One thing...  Leo's rigs used some FUNNY tubes!

I have a Globe King 400 that's gonna be restored...   I had one HELL
of a time finding a pair of V-70D finals!

And the Hytron 5514 modulator tubes (in both rigs)  aren't that
common either...   tho you can modify for
811As.

>David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA

Mr. T., W9LBB