[AMRadio] Shocking Stories


Eddy Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Jan 21 08:27:23 EST 2009


Good Day All,

Well, I've read a LOT of tales of tragic near-misses here that truly would
fall under the category of "...accident". But how about a near-fatal,
near-miss occurance that surely deserves to be preceded by the header of
"STOOOOOPID"...?!

It was 1976, & the budding, relatively newbie Ham --- i.e. yours truly ---
decided that the 20-foot electrical extension cord in the basement with the
intermittent receptacle head would better serve the world of VE3CUI as
fodder for hook-up wire...and so, to this end, a large METAL-handled carving
knife was procured from mother's cutlery drawer, a tight loop was made at
the receptacle end of the extension cord, and I diligently proceeded to cut
away through the wire...

BWAMMM!!!!

I was near-blinded by a flash of white & blue arc / spark, and the knife was
literally flung away from my hands, hitting the floor --- hard.

Yup --- the extension cord WAS STILL PLUGGED INTO THE AC WALL RECEPTACLE 20'
AWAY AT THE OTHER END...!

I suffered no ill-effects, other than receiving the (then) fright of my
life...but the knife did NOT fare as well: it bore witness to my stupidity
by way of what looked just exactly like a spotweld "nugget", about the size
of your baby pink nail, right where it had contacted the 120 VAC.

They say that The Almighty looks after drunkards and idiots in this life: I
surely had NOT been drinking at the time, so I humbly defer to my lifetime
membership within the latter category...!

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ




More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 18 Oct 2017.