[AMRadio] The Great Rochester Hamfest

Larry WA9VRH wa9vrh at dishmail.net
Sat Jan 24 19:06:09 EST 2009

Hi All,

Well you better kiss and make up or the Great Rochester Hamfest will
probably be gone in a couple of years. Before you shoot me let me explain.
For more years than I will put in print (in case my wife sees this) I was
the chairman for the Peoria Il Superfest. For years we were on our own date.

Then something happened and Radio Expo in Chicago ended up on the same
weekend. We were locked into our weekend as a few years eariler the
fairgrounds moved us without telling us. Well we threw a fit and they agreed
NEVER to change our date again. (which they have lived up to)

So for a number of years we butted heads with R.E. However even though
Peoria is much smaller in population we still maintained most of our
attendance. R.E. did ok also but we both had issues with dealers that wanted
to be at both but did not have enough staff to do both.

Well finally last year or the year before R.E. changed facilities and we are
on different dates. We in Peoria have seen a growth in attendance even
though hamfests in general are shrinking.

We believe that both RE and Peoria will continue to prosper without the
conflict of the same dates.

So GUYS and GALS knock off the BS and kiss and make up before the Great
Rochester hamfest becomes nothing more than memories!

Neither of you will win in this pissing contest (technical term) You will
tear friendships apart, you will make dealers make choices that they don't
want to make (and they may not show up at either show)  NO one is going to
win. ESPECIALLY when you are in the same town!

I hope for ALL you can straighten this out as we do not need another hamfest
to go SK!

73 Larry WA9VRH