[AMRadio] decals

BILL GUYGER bguyger at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 29 01:18:42 EDT 2009

Dick

I'm afraid that the days of radio nomenclature decals are long gone just like my youth.........I am however working (when I get a frikkin' chance) on a project called Frankenmitter (813 rig out of '55 handbook with a Flex-1000 SDR for the VFO and receiver) and bought some dry transfer letter sets from a local art supply to lable the panels with.

I made a template to align the lettering and dial scales in CAD and printed the templates onto overhead projector type transparent sheets. I aligned the templates over on the panel and taped then on one or two edges then slid the dry transfer sheet under the template until the letters on the template and on the dry transfer sheet lined up. I then flipped the template up and rubbed the dry transfer letters onto the panel. It's a one letter at a time chore, but if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing.

After all the lettering was done, I sprayed the panel with several thin coats of matte fixative to protect the lettering. BTW I had painted the panels with wrinkle paint, and lettering went on just fine.

Bill AD5OL