[AMRadio] gas tube protection of front end

Edward Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Mon Mar 2 13:27:10 EST 2009

Hi John,

That very technique, i.e. the installation of a gas-fired bulb from the
antenna terminal to ground, was used in the RCA AR-88 receiver of 1944...

http://www.shlrc.mq.edu.au/~robinson/museum/AR88cct.gif

Apparently many of these rigs had occasion  to operate physically close to
QRO transmitting installations --- I guess the bulb was the WW2 equivalent
of back-to-back diodes in the protection of receiver front ends...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ