[AMRadio] Fw: GB> 40m SWBC QRM to end 3/29/09... why isnt thisbeing hyped?

Vic Mukal tvictor at attglobal.net
Tue Mar 10 15:58:48 EDT 2009

I was a member of the US delegation to WRC-03 when this issue was discussed
in Geneva.  Regardless of what one thinks of the ARRL, it was the ARRL that
spearheaded getting the SW broadcasters out of the 40m band.  Led by
delegate member Paul Rinaldo W4RI of the ARRL, this issue was fought in the
ITU's committee.  Paul had his stuff together and rallied support - it was
ironic that it took the US to deal with the European SW broadcasting lobby
(and the US lobby, too!), which is a strong organization, politically and
economically. European amateurs benefit greatly - maybe moreso than us US
hams. Restoring the 40m band exclusively to worldwide amateur use was one of
the clear-cut victories in frequency spectrum management that the US
experienced at that conference.  (The reasons why the SW broadcasters were
there in the first place is an interesting story in itself.)  Thanks, Paul!

Vic
WB2STR