[AMRadio] Tower advice

Dave Mayfield W9WRL wrl at gwltd.com
Wed Mar 11 13:12:12 EDT 2009

Todd, I have built several towers like your talking about. If you do as
you have said you will not have any troubles. Here is how the base
should be made, keep in mind your soil type has something to do with the
depth of the base. Here in Illinois I would dig the base 20 inches
square and four feet deep. I then drive four 4ft long by 1/2 or lager
rebar straight down in the bottom of the hole drive these three feet
down keeping them apart so that you tower section will set in between
the rebar, then drive a few more 4ft 1/2 rebar sections at a 45 into the
sides of the hole. But about 6 inches of rock in the bottom, this will
allow the water that WILL get into the tower section legs to drain, if
they don't drain the tower legs will split when the water in the legs
freezes. This base will hole a 35ft tower and tribander without any
guys. I have one just like this that stood up to 96 miles per hours
winds at my place last summer. No guys. if you have room for the guys
then you should have one set, two sets is better but one will hold it.

Dave W9WRL.com