[AMRadio] another thought

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Mar 13 15:21:54 EDT 2009

> Not to be preaching to the choir, and not that I'm disagreeing, but this
> is a?very very?fine line to tread in that it borders on broadcasting.
> During the Riley Hollingsworth days there were FCC actions against hams
> who were hogging THEIR (in their opinion) frequency by doing the same
> thing. I'm sure you all know the person or persons at fault. They were
> being curmudgeonly just to be a-holes.

> Bill AD5OL

To make that work, you would need two stations, each running in timed
sequence so that one transmitter would come on frequency just as soon as the
other one went off.

But you would have to make sure your Radio Shack timers all worked properly
:-)

I use an automated CQ caller, made from a Sony minidisc player set to repeat
mode.  I use a tone on the left channel and the voice is recorded on the
right channel.  There is zero cross-talk with the minidisc; the minidisc
seems to have perfect channel separation.  The tone activates the T/R relay,
kind of the way vox works on SSB.  I can let it run over and over again for
hours if I want.  It will call CQ for about 90 seconds, then go to standby
for 30 seconds, and keep on repeating until I take manual control of the
station. I just put it on, then go  to the bench and work on a project.  I
listen during standby periods for any calls and take manual control if I can
hear someone come back.  The CQ recording specifies that I have my receiver
set to AM mode.

Don k4kyv