[AMRadio] Clean and lube

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Mar 29 12:36:17 EDT 2009

The question of good contact cleaners and lubricants for electronics
comes up often on the air and on the mailing list.  So I researched a
bit today to pin down a decent source:

I see that MCM has the great contact cleaner Deoxit D5 on sale...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.aspx?productid=200-040

It is $12.95 if you type in promo code WR903 when you check out.

It is a good policy when shopping MCM to type in all their current
promo codes (which correspond to flyers and catalogs they've issued.
You can find them at

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/en-US/promo/flyer/index

The current ones are WR903, WSP903, WD902, and WA902.

I've settled on two main lubricants for electronics restoration:

For situations that want "oil" I use a multipurpose oil that is
described as "turbine oil" sold by GC. The long "extendo-spout" is
great for reaching deep.
MCM has it

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/GC-ELECTRONICS-10-9410-/20-410

For situations that want "grease" I use white lithium grease sold in a
squeeze tube. GC has a nice type.
MCM has it

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/GC-ELECTRONICS-19-2302-/20-1325

Don't forget the long cotton swab sticks to apply the grease or soak up
excess oil down in there...   $1.29 with promo codes.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MANFRED-INDUSTRIES-16637-/21-060

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/