[AMRadio] 7160 hot

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 10:15:52 EDT 2009

That's the way propagation goes, Brian. I could not hear any 2's, but I will bet Robert/VMC and Dave/9AD were pounding the guy. On the other hand, I couldn't hear Joe/BWO very well at Rhode Island, which told me the band wasn't supporting shorter paths.

Last night I started with a CQ on 7165Kc, monitoring the frequency across several of these internet-based radios to check propagation. I could hear myself strongly on receivers located in Kentucky and the midwest, but less strongly in upstate NY. You there in Alabama probably heard me alright.

There was some kind of contest underway involving an incompatible, lesser mode, and by using this remote receive link, I could slightly dial away from the interference to remain in the clear. Cool stuff.

Finally, I heard Bill W8VYZ on 7160Kc through one of these sites, and joined him after I concluded with a couple a guys who had answered my CQ up higher.

This may prove to be a good strategy when setting up down low" on 40m.

--Paul/VJB